Now that summer has arrived in Montana, many people will be outside to enjoy the nice weather. There are many activities that people will enjoy such as hiking, fishing and other activities outside the city, but people will also be outside within the city as well. One activity that people will be taking advantage of while in the city is riding bicycles. They can be a great form of exercise and a good way to enjoy the warm weather.
However, bicycling in the city can also be a dangerous activity if the bicyclists and the drivers on the road are not travelling safely. Bicycle accidents can be very devastating for the bicyclist who has very little protection between themselves and the road. So, it is important that people protect against them and to do this it is important to know the common causes of bicycle accidents.
- Driving through Intersection when Bicycle had Right of Way. This can occur when a driver comes to a stop sign and then begins to drive forward without seeing the bicycle riding through the intersection with the right of way.
- Vehicles Overtaking a Bicycle. Bicycles should ride on the right side of the road and it is important that when cars pass them that they give them space. If they drive too close they could hit the bicyclist or force the bicyclist to correct quickly and cause them to fall.
- Turning at Intersections. This could be both left and right turns. When taking a left turn, cars need to ensure that no bicycles are crossing the intersection in addition to other vehicles. When taking a right turn, cars need to check behind them to ensure that a bicyclist is not coming from behind them on their right.
- Dooring. This can occur when people are getting out of their cars after parking on the side of the road. If the driver opens their door without looking, they could open it in the path of a bicyclist.
- Pulling out of Driveways. As drivers enter the road from driveways and parking lots in the middle of a road, it is important to ensure that both other vehicles and bicycles are not travelling in the lane they are driving into.
There are many bicyclists that are involved in accidents with cars each year in Montana. They can cause very serious injuries as well. If the driver was at fault by not paying attention in the situations mentioned above, they may be required to compensate the bicyclist for the injuries they caused. This compensation can be very important as people recover from their injuries and consulting with an experienced attorney could be beneficial.