Colton Holm
Colton Holm

Call Now For A Free Consultation
(406) 213-7770

Motorcyclist Injured On Montana Highway 312

  • On Behalf Of Colton Holm
  • Published: July 9, 2014

Motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable when they are involved in a collision with a larger vehicle. Sometimes they can be injured just by trying to get out of the way of a negligent driver. That appears to be what happened in a recent accident that occurred on Highway 312 and 12 Mile Road, northeast of Billings.

According to the Montana Highway Patrol, the accident was reported around 4:00 p.m. last Wednesday. The motorcyclist was westbound on 312 when an SUV attempted to make a left turn in front of him onto 12 Mile Road. The man on the bike swerved to avoid a collision but lost control of the bike as he did so. According to the Highway Patrol, he was conscious at the scene but had suffered serious injury. He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital. The SUV driver received a citation for failure to yield the right-of-way.

The driver of a vehicle turning left and crossing a lane of opposing traffic has the legal duty to yield to oncoming vehicles. A failure to yield in this situation is negligence. If that negligence results in an accident, the negligent driver can face legal liability for any injuries.

Any person injured in a car accident caused by another driver’s negligence has the right to make a personal injury claim against the negligent driver. The injured victim has the right to recover compensation for pain and suffering, as well as lost income, disability and medical expenses. The insurance company for the negligent driver is obligated to pay the damages up to the limits of the policy.

Being injured in a motor vehicle accident can have serious long-term repercussions. With help from an experienced personal injury attorney, an injured victim can recover monetary damages to compensate them for their losses.

Source: Billings Gazette, “Motorcyclist injured in Highway 312 accident,” July 2, 2014

Colton Holm

At Colton Holm Law Firm, we look forward to learning
how we can help you resolve your legal concern.
Call us today: (406) 213-7770